Uganda is richly endowed with many renewable energy resources for energy production and provision of energy services. Much, however, still needs to be done to realise this potential since majority of available resources remain largely under-utilized.
Considering the fact that energy is a critical input and driver of every aspect in the economy, there is a need for improvement in the sector.
To support the mitigation process, in January 2015, business associations in the renewable energy and energy efficiency sector initiated the Uganda National Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Alliance (UNREEEA).
- Establishment of permanent working relationships with government departments, civil organisations, development partners as well as all other stakeholders in the Energy industry.
- Strengthening of capacity building initiatives for member companies, institutions and individuals through a number of activities aimed at disseminating knowledge and increasing skills.
- Initiation of private sector led renewable energy projects to supply power to the off-grid communities of Uganda.
- Up-grade of the private sector led approach in the development and improvement of RET’s in Uganda.
- Aggressive lobbying for consumer protection, adherence to quality and enforcement of standards in as far as the renewable energy sector is concerned.
- Initiation, operation and management of a revolving fund for development, promotion and investment in RET’s to achieve off-grid rural electrification in greater Uganda.
Benefits to members
Members of UNREEEA stand to benefit in a number of ways in that this platform will :
- Enhance interaction among different associations, enabling them to share expertise across the board.
- Strengthen the ability of RE&EE associations to unanimously lobby for improved policy and legal framework conditions and development and expansion of the market for RE & EE solutions.
- Provide a hub facilitating easy and effective flow of information in the RE & EE business sector.
- Create capacity to leverage resources and expand access to finance.
- Enable its member associations to further consolidate their leadership position in the National RE & EE sector, as well as at East African Community level.
- UNREEEA is at the forefront of the formation of the East Africa Renewable Energy Alliance.
- UNREEEA members stand to benefit from this regional association.
CLIMATE DIPLOMACY DAY
The Germany Embassy staged the Climate Diplomacy Day in Kampala on Thursday 15th September 2016 at the football play ground at the Kira Police station and the best of honor was the Germany Ambassador.The groups that were targeted included urban residents of the surrounding communities that use fire wood and Charcoal, passers-by and diplomats from other foreign embassies in Kampala. The purpose of this activity…
Vacancy with UNBA
JOB VACANCY WITH UNBA Being increasingly busy and with over 160 members nationwide, UNBA currently is looking for a volunteer to support the alliance's secretariat as Office Administrator. You can access the advert via www.ugandajobonline.com, via our Facebook page - or directly here.Know More
UNREEEA holds a press conference on 15th March at Hotel Africana, KampalaKnow More
Vacancy: Office Manager
UNREEEA is currently looking for a qualified and dedicated individual to fill the position of Office Manager.Know More
Contact UNBA: New office and phone number
Effective this December 2015, UNREEEA opened its joint office and is hosting now all member associations – and UNBA has moved in already. Now, you cannot only visit your UNBA representative in person: You can also reach the UNBA secretariat via a new mobile number!Know More
UNBA held its Annual General Meeting
Our member UNBA, the Uganda National Biogas Alliance, has held its first Annual General Meeting on October 30th. More than thirty representatives of the member associations from around the country gathered at Imperial Royale Hotel Kampala to review the work done and discuss and determine the way forward.Know More
REBI NETWORKING EVENT 2015
UNREEEA representatives attended the annual networking event organized by The Renewable Energy Business Incubator (REBi) on October 1st, 2015. This networking event was well used to interact and exchange with other partners in the RE and EE sector and to evaluate possible cooperation for knowledge exchange and funding.Know More
Energy Week 2015
UNREEEA was well represented at the exhibition of this year's Energy Week and welcomed numerous visitors, potential partners and customers.Know More