With a renewable energy resource potential of 2000 MW of hydro power, 450 MW of geothermal, 460 million tonnes of biomass standing sustainable annual yield of 50 million tons, and an average of 5-6 kWh/m2 / day of solar energy, wind and geothermal power, Uganda has the ability to meet its sky locating energy demands sustainably while promoting business through a vibrant public-private sector partnership as it is the development trend worldwide today.
It is in the above arrangement that in 2014 the private sector players in the various renewable energy and energy efficiency association signed a memorandum of understanding to come under one umbrella called the Uganda National Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Alliance (UNREEEA) with an aim of availing a platform for consolidating the sector leadership.
UNREEEA is a not- for- profit organization incorporated 2015 because of the private sector players in the various renewable energy and energy efficiency sub-sectors signing a memorandum of understanding to come under one umbrella body. The primary role of the Uganda National Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Alliance (UNREEEA) is to avail a platform for consolidating the renewable energy and energy efficiency private sector wing as well as improving its business environment.
The Alliance as an umbrella organization brings together a network of six member associations under which various companies and enterprises subscribe. The associations include:
- Biomass Energy Efficient Technologies Association (BEETA)
- Uganda National Bio-gas Alliance (UNBA)
- Hydro-power Association of Uganda (HPAU)
- Uganda Solar Energy Association (USEA)
- Energy Efficiency Association of Uganda (EEAU/Energy Auditors)
- Wind Power Association of Uganda (WPAU)
Organizational Structure of UNREEEA’s Network
A dynamic and well-established energy efficiency and renewable energy sector contributing to sustainable development.
UNREEEA coordinates, supports, and represents members to foster growth in the energy efficiency and renewable energy sector.
The alliance aims to;
- To negotiate conducive policies and create an enabling business environment.
- To strengthen UNREEEA and member associations’ ability to meet their mandate.
- To enhance skills development and knowledge management within the renewable energy and energy efficiency sector.